We are an ambulatory equine practice with over 30 years of experience and knowledge, covering Hampshire and surrounding counties. We are able to bring mobile diagnostic equipment to your horse and can perform on site radiography, ultrasound scans, gastroscopy, ECGs and endoscopy with immediate on site results.
Routine visits are available Monday to Friday for a range of veterinary procedures including vaccinations, clinical examinations, bloodwork, dentistry and lameness and poor performance assessments.
We provide 24 hour 7 day emergency veterinary cover for horses. If you have an out of hours emergency (5pm – 8:30am), please call our dedicated emergency line (01209 823227). They will take your details and immediately contact the duty vet.
Routine Surgical Procedures
Procedures include castrations, surgical and laser mass removals and wound management.
We have a wide range of dental equipment enabling us to perform all routine dental work as well as more advanced diagnostic procedures including oroscopy and radiography, which allows us to visualise your horse’s teeth, jaw and soft tissues of the mouth in more detail, making detection of subtle problems possible and therefore target treatment more effectively.
Lameness investigations and treatments
This is an area that the practice has considerable interest in and consequently, considerable experience. We work with many riders and their competition horses that are suffering with lameness associated with not only the obvious, but the subtle “poor performance” causes. We appreciate the opportunity to be thorough and take pride in accurate diagnosis and treatment protocols, but are also happy to tailor our work to meet your requirements! The majority of our cases are investigated and treated at the yard.
Internal medicine investigations
From endoscopy to abdominal ultrasound, liver biopsies and blood tests, our well equipped vehicles are designed so that most medical conditions can be investigated at your yard. This includes: respiratory disease; liver disease; weight loss; ophthalmological conditions; endocrine disorders; dermatological investigations
Ultrasonography of the liver prior to biopsy
Poor performance Investigations
Once again our array of diagnostic equipment enables a logical and thorough approach to these sometimes subtle cases that can present with few or no external clinical signs to you, the owner e.g. stomach ulcers, lower airway inflammation, post viral syndrome etc
Sample from a horse with lower airway inflammation
Artificial Insemination, Infertility investigations.
Kings Bounty now has various breeding packages to help you with the cost of breeding your mare (more details under Clinical Information, Breeding and AI packages). Liz has considerable stud experience and is happy to discuss your requirements on a case by case basis.
Pre Purchase Examinations
Our vets are able to discuss your requirements for vettings so that we can offer you a tailored service.
We offer 5 Stage Pre Purchase Examinations, 2 stage Pre Purchase Examinations and Mortality and Insurance vettings. VDS blood sampling is available and recommended for all vettings. Radiography and further investigations can also be performed at the purchaser’s request or if an insurance company requires it.
On course duties for competitions and events
- Digital Radiography – not only useful for diagnosing skeletal pathology ( e.g. arthritis; fractures etc) , digital radiography acts as an aid to improve the accuracy, and therefore safety, of injections in to deeper structures of the skeleton e.g. medication of the navicular bursa.
- Ultrasound – allows us to qualify and quantify soft tissue injuries but also to safely guide us during injections of the deeper structures such as neck/back and sacroiliac joints.
- Endoscopy – this enables assessment of the upper airway e.g. laryngeal paralysis in the thoroughbred and also to sample secretions from the lower airway in cases of inflammation/infection e.g. RAO
- Gastroscopy – with an ever increasing awareness of gastric ulceration in the horse, we have a portable gastroscope which we can bring to your yard for assessment.
- ECG – advances in technology enable us to take your horse’s ECG using a portable device which connects to a mobile phone!
- Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Therapy – widely used in the treatment of many orthopaedic conditions, commonly Proximal Suspensory Desmitis (PSD); Annular Ligament Desmitis; pelvic and back pain in the competition horse etc. Focal shockwave is used in preference to widely used radial shockwave.
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma)
- Stem cell therapy
We work closely with other veterinary professionals in the area referring horses for:
- Bone Scans
- Specialist investigations
We have numerous excellent physiotherapists in the area, many of whom we have worked with for years. We strongly encourage a holistic “team approach” when dealing with our orthopaedic cases!
- Remedial Farriery
We encourage a close working relationship with farriers and appreciate the opportunity to discuss foot balance/ routine shoeing/ shoeing for lameness and enjoy discussions about foot X-rays/ MRI results etc. We are happy to take routine foot balance X-rays to assist the farrier and can plan to do this at the time of their visit, if preferred, so that they can assess the immediate effect that they are having on the feet! Again, an important arm to the “team approach”
- Specialised Cardiology Investigations
ECG set up for exercise ECG analysis