We are an ambulatory equine practice with over 50 years of experience and knowledge between us and look after clients predominantly in Hampshire, Surrey, Berkshire and Sussex. We are able to bring modern mobile digital equipment to your horse and can perform on site radiography, ultrasound scans, gastroscopy, ECGs and endoscopy with immediate on site results.
We provide 24 hour 7 day emergency veterinary cover for horses. If you have an out of hours emergency (5pm – 8am), please call our dedicated emergency line (01209 823227). They will take your details and immediately page the duty vet. Please call the practice if you would like to know more about our emergency service including the associated fees.
Routine Surgical Procedures
Lameness investigations and treatments
This is an area that the practice has considerable interest in and consequently, considerable experience. We work with many riders and their competition horses that are suffering with lameness associated with not only the obvious, but the subtle “poor performance” causes. We appreciate the opportunity to be thorough and take pride in accurate diagnosis and treatment protocols, but are also happy to tailor our work to meet your requirements! The majority of our cases are investigated and treated at the yard be it an age related common arthritic condition or e.g. subtle pathology of the young performance horse.
Medication of the lumbar facet joints under ultrasound guidance.
Internal medicine investigations
From endoscopy to abdominal ultrasound, liver biopsies and blood tests, our well equipped vehicles are designed so that most medical conditions can be investigated at your yard. This includes: respiratory disease; liver disease; weight loss; ophthalmological conditions; endocrine disorders; dermatological investigations
Ultrasonography of the liver prior to biopsy
Poor performance Investigations
Once again our array of diagnostic equipment enables a logical and thorough approach to these sometimes subtle cases that can present with few or no external clinical signs to you, the owner e.g. stomach ulcers, lower airway inflammation, post viral syndrome etc
Sample from a horse with lower airway inflammation
Artificial Insemination, Infertility investigations.
Kings Bounty now has various breeding packages to help you with the cost of breeding your mare (more details under Client Information downloads). Liz has considerable stud experience and is happy to discuss your requirements on a case by case basis.
Pre Purchase Examinations
On course duties for Point to Points and other competitions
- Digital Radiography – not only useful for diagnosing skeletal pathology ( e.g. arthritis; fractures etc) , digital radiography acts as an aid to improve the accuracy, and therefore safety, of injections in to deeper structures of the skeleton e.g. medication of the navicular bursa.
- Ultrasound – allows us to qualify and quantify soft tissue injuries but also to safely guide us during injections of the deeper structures such as neck/back and sacroiliac joints.
- Endoscopy – this enables assessment of the upper airway e.g. laryngeal paralysis in the thoroughbred and also to sample secretions from the lower airway in cases of inflammation/infection e.g. RAO
- Gastroscopy – with an ever increasing awareness of gastric ulceration in the horse, we can assess whether your horse is suffering ( sometimes in silence) and allows us to take gastric and duodenal biopsies for analysis.
- Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Therapy – widely used in the treatment of many orthopaedic conditions, commonly Proximal Suspensory Desmitis (PSD); Annular Ligament Desmitis; pelvic and back pain in the competition horse etc. Focal shockwave is used in preference to widely used radial shockwave.
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma)
- Stem cell therapy
- We work closely with other professionals in the area referring horses for:
- Bone Scans
We have numerous excellent physiotherapists in the area, many of whom we have worked with for years. We strongly encourage a holistic “team approach” when dealing with our orthopaedic cases!
Manipulation of the OA joint in the sedated horse by an experienced physiotherapist.
- Remedial Farriery
We encourage a close working relationship with farriers and appreciate the opportunity to discuss foot balance/ routine shoeing/ shoeing for lameness and enjoy discussions about foot X-rays/ MRI results etc. We are happy to take routine foot balance X-rays to assist the farrier and can plan to do this at the time of their visit, if preferred, so that they can assess the immediate effect that they are having on the feet! Again, an important arm to the “team approach”
- Specialised Cardiology Investigations
ECG set up for exercise ECG analysis